This week I’ve made a waterproof fleece diaper wrap, and managed to screw up one that was supposed to have pirate skulls and crossbones. Luckily that fabric can still be saved. I’ll have to convert it to a newborn cover or AIO. My diaper wrap success does not have any closure on it. I decided to leave it off after seeing how well an infant size Snappi works on it. This gives the cover a a snug fit that can easily be customized.
As you can see in the pictures the end result was ok for my first try. The velcro you see is for sizing the rise of the diaper. It is really thin with a preemie or infant prefold and holds the prefolds nice and snug. I have tried it with preemie Indian prefolds from Cotton Babies and homemade infant size prefolds. The velcro is heavy duty hook and loop you can purchase from any craft store or retailer such as Walmart or Target. My decision to use velcro instead of snaps comes from the fact that I hate everything about applying and using snaps considering they are not Daddy or Grandparent friendly. This diaper folds down in the front for rise sizing and the velcro just helps the security of the fold.
The inside of the diaper is actually made from a peva free vinyl shower curtain purchased at my local Target store. The outside layer is 1 layer of Glacier Fleece purchased from Hancock Fabrics. Right now Hancock is have an excellent 40-50% off sale on fleece. I purchased glacier due to it’s heavier weight than most, makes it great for trim covers. When tested with wet prefold diapers and letting them sit for 2 hours the cover performed wonderfully. Only the shower curtain layer was wet.
Caring for this cover is pretty simple too. Wash as normal with the other diapers, tumble dry on low for a few minutes just to keep the seal between the inner and outer layers healthy, and done! Most of the time I hang my covers to dry, I only do the dryer method once a month.