December is my favorite month for homeschooling, but not for reasons you would think. I love the fact that we can learn without the lessons feeling so serious. This is especially true where our novel studies are concerned. Chipmunk and I always have fun elements planned into these chapter book lessons but it just seems like knowing Christmas is just around the corner makes it more special.
This Christmas season our novel study is based on the book The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson. Here is a my plan for this book. It is not a day to day type of lesson plan just an overview.
- Read and discuss the novel
- Complete study guides for the book as reading assignments are completed
- Thursday – watch a play based on the novel
- Friday – watch the movie based on the novel
- We will use the resource list at the bottom of this post and do craft projects, cross-curricular worksheets and other activities. There will be on or 2 of these per day.
- There are quite a few writing assignments mentioned on the websites in the resources list. Pick one to use as a writing prompt. The final draft will be due Thursday. Pick a craft project that was not completed during week 2 and have it completed by Thursday.
- Novel recorded as a YouTube audiobook
- HD recording of the play on YouTube
- VHS recording of the made for tv movie uploaded to YouTube
- Teacher Vision – this page has various ideas that correlate to the book, this pdf of comprehension questions is also available
- Bright Hub Education – writing assignment and advertising project
- Mister Jeremy Hubpages – teacher’s guide and links to lesson plan ideas
- University of Missouri ethemes – collection of links to resources based on the book
- Book Units Teacher – sample of a book unit available for purchase
- Johnson Academy Homeschool – other files I have collected and stored in our school Google Drive account
Need more ideas? Follow our 2014 Christmas Lesson Plans board on Pinterest